Some things to think about:
- Where does the city's water come from?
- Where does the city's waste go to?
- How do people move around in the city? Roads? Rail?
3D Model important structures
- Graph paper: trace and color the footprint of what you are modeling
- Civic structures (police, fire, hospital)
The students used the 3D printed models to rebuild new cities in smaller scale than their original cardboard cities. In addition to the plastic models, students used cardboard and construction paper to create a collaged urban environment.
Students worked with a common vocabulary of landscape features
- black: roads, rail, transportation
- green: green space, trees, grass
- blue: city reservoir, lakes, ponds (all the water needed to be used)
- brown: municipal waste (all the brown needed to be used)